All the meat eaters back me up here. Chicken is something that almost any meat eater loves. A normal chicken sandwich or chicken curry is something most people love.
Well, this particular recipe is something I love and relish a lot. I first had this meat when I was visiting a friend’s place for dinner. She was from India and her grandmother was visiting her at that same time. It was her grandmother’s recipe and I cannot describe how amazing that meat tasted.
You will actually have to cook this on your own to know how mind boggling it was.
This recipe will go best with some butter naan or rice. So, cook that accordingly.
As far as butter chicken is concerned, what you will need is:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2lbs chicken breasts
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala (combination of spices minced and crushed)
- 1 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- tsp. cayenne powder
- 11/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups cream
- Salt and pepper
- Lime and cilantro for garnishing
Directions of making
- Add two Tbsp. of butter in a skillet. Keep the heat on medium heat and add cumin seeds with minced garlic and diced onion with 2 spoons of cooking oil. Let it sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts in another skillet simultaneously and cook them until they turn light brown. They do not need to be fully cooked. Add two Tbsp. butter as well. Not all of them need to be cooked at once. Make sure to work in batches.
- At the same time, add grated ginger, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder and cayenne powder in the skillet where onion and garlic are getting cooked. Stir to combine all the ingredients at once. Stir for about a minute on low flame.
- After which add the tomato sauce.
NOTE- Do not take the readymade tomato sauce or puree. Just cut 3-4 medium sized tomatoes and add it in the mixed. It will form a puree in just 3-5 minutes.
- Thus, add the tomato sauce in the pan. Now let it cook for 2 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally.
- Bring the whole mixture to simmer. After which cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the cream after that. Now, increase the flame a little bit and add those chicken pieces in the mixture. Stir for 2-3 minutes and then decrease the flame to low again.
- Now, let it cook for good 5-8 minutes. This is the step when all the spices get soaked properly in the chicken making it well cooked and delicious.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of butter in the mixture now with salt and pepper. Stir it again.
- Now, add the cilantro and squeeze half the lemon. Mix it well again. Close the flame.
NOTE- If you are using heavy cream then mix it with a cup of water for a better consistency.
The whole recipe will take 45 minutes in total. Just try it and I am sure you would not regret it.